The last couple of weeks have been difficult for he FMF movement, but nonetheless we still hold fast to the believe that we will see free quality education in our lifetime, maybe even NOW. i just want to highlight the challenges we’ve faced thus far and the plan of action moving forward.
- The first challenged we faced in the very beginning of the year was securing accommodation for students writing deferred exams, which shouldn’t even have been a problem seeing that we had already agreed with management on this matter last year already. We are, however, proud to announce that all students were accommodate free of charge at either Jubilee or Men’s res during the course of their examinations.
- The second challenged was finding ways to provide food to students during this period, especially those students who really couldn’t afford even a single meal per day. despite our relentless efforts, all we managed to secure was one meal per day
- We started with campus shut down soon after exams, but we were met with a violent eviction at Solomon House and the ultimate militarization of our campus
- An interdict was served to us, and a consequent intimidation and fear of exercising the right to protest was imparted.
- Students (most of whom are involved in the movement) were thrown out of res and left stranded without accommodation.
- There has been a great shortage of funding and food supplies
Despite all of this, I’ve seen an amazing group of students who remain resilient and determined to carry this course through. The courage I’ve seen in these students is inspiring and unheard of, and I salute these cadres with the hope that we will all be like them.
Through trying circumstances, we had to find strategic ways to protest and mobilize, and we will continue till we are heard by the state.
PLAN OF ACTION
- WEDNESDAY (27/01/2016– We will have an artist demonstration in the form of a die-in. Please come with white T-shirts and/or a donation of any artistic material
- THURSDAY (28/01/2016)- We will be hosting an event where will have a panel discussing the feasibility and affordability of free education. The purpose of this event is to advice the government on how to implement free education so that money and time will not be wasted on task teams and commissions.
- FRIDAY (29/01/2016)- REGISTRATION DAY, in order for us to continue to fight all returning fallists are encouraged to register and look for accommodation and sort out all admin thereto. Those with problem in this regard are encouraged to come forward so we could see how we can help one another.
- SATURDAY (30/01/2016) PLENARY AND MARKETING MEETING. We like to invite all member to mass plenary meeting in order for us to plan for the year of 2016 and also form new task team.a representative from a marketing company that offered to help FMF will be meeting with us on Saturday, we ask that all Fallists attend so that FMF may truly be representative of the student population in the decision making processes.
- NEXT WEEK- POLITICAL SCHOOL WILL RESUME:) (contact Mbekezeli (MBE) and Aya in this regard)
Like eagles, we soar on even in the mist of great distress and tribulation; and the greater the opposing force, the higher we soar. Let the year of free quality education begin.
for further details on all things FMF, please contact the people listed below using the FMF email account and quoting the name of the contact person in the subject line.